DDoS Updates

Patch notes, server status, and major news.
Schwarzschild
Posts: 43

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#61 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:26 pm

Maaadcheddarrr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:14 pm
Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:02 pm All the people ranting here about how the selfless heroes who rescued the game they loved for free dared not to do it in a more convenient way :D
None of this matters if no one can play. People like you who take any criticism and call everyone shills or bots add no value when the reality is they're people like me who care about the project and the game and want it to actually succeed. It was one thing when it was a DDoS, but now it is a non-stop self inflicted wound. Player pop is tanking, people are leaving for Forever or other pservers and this trend will continue until people give up completely.
On that note, here is a quote by Google Gemini:
"For an attacker, executing a months-long, high-volume, and shape-shifting (multi-vector) DDoS attack bypasses standard commodified pricing and scales into tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars in overall operational costs. While a simple, brief DDoS attack can be rented via "DDoS-for-hire" booter services for as little as $5 to $38, a sustained, dynamic campaign requires deep infrastructure investments rather than just a flat rental fee."

Someone rich wants to destroy Octo. The list of potential suspects is short. It is clear tho, that this is unprecedented and unlike anything any private server ever had to face.

User avatar
Maaadcheddarrr
Posts: 66

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#62 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:32 pm

Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:26 pm
Maaadcheddarrr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:14 pm
Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:02 pm All the people ranting here about how the selfless heroes who rescued the game they loved for free dared not to do it in a more convenient way :D
None of this matters if no one can play. People like you who take any criticism and call everyone shills or bots add no value when the reality is they're people like me who care about the project and the game and want it to actually succeed. It was one thing when it was a DDoS, but now it is a non-stop self inflicted wound. Player pop is tanking, people are leaving for Forever or other pservers and this trend will continue until people give up completely.
On that note, here is a quote by Google Gemini:
"For an attacker, executing a months-long, high-volume, and shape-shifting (multi-vector) DDoS attack bypasses standard commodified pricing and scales into tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars in overall operational costs. While a simple, brief DDoS attack can be rented via "DDoS-for-hire" booter services for as little as $5 to $38, a sustained, dynamic campaign requires deep infrastructure investments rather than just a flat rental fee."

Someone rich wants to destroy Octo. The list of potential suspects is short. It is clear tho, that this is unprecedented and unlike anything any private server ever had to face.
How doomed are we when people can't even do their own research or write their own posts? Incredible.

Schwarzschild
Posts: 43

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#63 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:34 pm

Maaadcheddarrr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:32 pm
Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:26 pm
Maaadcheddarrr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:14 pm

None of this matters if no one can play. People like you who take any criticism and call everyone shills or bots add no value when the reality is they're people like me who care about the project and the game and want it to actually succeed. It was one thing when it was a DDoS, but now it is a non-stop self inflicted wound. Player pop is tanking, people are leaving for Forever or other pservers and this trend will continue until people give up completely.
On that note, here is a quote by Google Gemini:
"For an attacker, executing a months-long, high-volume, and shape-shifting (multi-vector) DDoS attack bypasses standard commodified pricing and scales into tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars in overall operational costs. While a simple, brief DDoS attack can be rented via "DDoS-for-hire" booter services for as little as $5 to $38, a sustained, dynamic campaign requires deep infrastructure investments rather than just a flat rental fee."

Someone rich wants to destroy Octo. The list of potential suspects is short. It is clear tho, that this is unprecedented and unlike anything any private server ever had to face.
How doomed are we when people can't even do their own research or write their own posts? Incredible.
Because I am not an expert, I asked the AI what these kinds of attacks cost. Why is that a problem? Everyone here being super aggressive and pissed, I get it.

The fact that we are looking at 100s of 1000s of dollars to fund these DDoS attacks implies that some big player wants Octo dead.
Last edited by Schwarzschild on Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Misterjingles
Posts: 23

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#64 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:35 pm

Quizok2 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:15 pm Guys, is the server down or its something on my side?
https://octowow-status.shunrai.workers.dev/

User avatar
Rocksmash
Posts: 46

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#65 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:42 pm

Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:34 pm
Maaadcheddarrr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:32 pm
Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:26 pm

On that note, here is a quote by Google Gemini:
"For an attacker, executing a months-long, high-volume, and shape-shifting (multi-vector) DDoS attack bypasses standard commodified pricing and scales into tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars in overall operational costs. While a simple, brief DDoS attack can be rented via "DDoS-for-hire" booter services for as little as $5 to $38, a sustained, dynamic campaign requires deep infrastructure investments rather than just a flat rental fee."

Someone rich wants to destroy Octo. The list of potential suspects is short. It is clear tho, that this is unprecedented and unlike anything any private server ever had to face.
How doomed are we when people can't even do their own research or write their own posts? Incredible.
Because I am not an expert, I asked the AI what these kinds of attacks cost. Why is that a problem? Everyone here being super aggressive and pissed, I get it.

The fact that we are looking at 100s of 1000s of dollars to fund these DDoS attacks implies that some big player wants Octo dead.
you have to understand theres alot of people against AI in 2026. I lean more against AI so I can understand why he is mad at you for using AI, however, I do understand that sometimes people dont have the time or energy to do research, so I can completely understand why you used AI for the example you provided. Although I would love to just agree with the other guy and say "AI IS BAD" theres two sides to a story and in a way its not even your fault for using it, its more googles fault for allowing it to be accessed so easily. but again, im a nobody and my opinion is just an opinion, keep using AI if its more convenient for you, I hope this gives you some insight on maybe why that guy was so upset <3 <3 <3
I seriously want dwarves to get plainsrunning

Schwarzschild
Posts: 43

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#66 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:50 pm

Rocksmash wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:42 pm
Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:34 pm
Maaadcheddarrr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:32 pm

How doomed are we when people can't even do their own research or write their own posts? Incredible.
Because I am not an expert, I asked the AI what these kinds of attacks cost. Why is that a problem? Everyone here being super aggressive and pissed, I get it.

The fact that we are looking at 100s of 1000s of dollars to fund these DDoS attacks implies that some big player wants Octo dead.
you have to understand theres alot of people against AI in 2026. I lean more against AI so I can understand why he is mad at you for using AI, however, I do understand that sometimes people dont have the time or energy to do research, so I can completely understand why you used AI for the example you provided. Although I would love to just agree with the other guy and say "AI IS BAD" theres two sides to a story and in a way its not even your fault for using it, its more googles fault for allowing it to be accessed so easily. but again, im a nobody and my opinion is just an opinion, keep using AI if its more convenient for you, I hope this gives you some insight on maybe why that guy was so upset <3 <3 <3
Well at least I properly labeled my "source" accordingly. Most people do not, which is a big part of the problem to begin with. I remember when people (teachers, professors, etc) ranted about Wikipedia (and the internet in general) ruining students' educations. Just like a Wiki, AI can be the START of an investigation or learning process, pointing you to other, proper sources. But it must never be the end of an investigation.

Platonist
Posts: 1

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#67 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:51 pm

Idk if it helps anyone or if it even has any effect but I changed the realmlist from play.octo to normal.octo and back and then it worked :D But could just be plain old coincidence

Moriak
Posts: 7

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#68 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:53 pm

Thegenxfiles wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 1:50 am Best of luck, I find it reallly REALLY weird anyone would bother doing this silly childish antics for gamers who just want to play a game...and maybe be goofy in chat occasionally lol. I will say the time I have been on I have enjoyed it as a LONG ago player (I quit retail in Pandas)Keep doing what you do it's very cool.
I can't think of anyone other than Microsoft/Activision/Blizzard being this invested into making this happen. The time, resources and dedication required plus the "coincidental" launch of WoW Forever, I can't think of anyone else going this hard at it. But this is just pure speculation of course.
Last edited by Moriak on Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Rocksmash
Posts: 46

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#69 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:54 pm

Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:50 pm
Rocksmash wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:42 pm
Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:34 pm

Because I am not an expert, I asked the AI what these kinds of attacks cost. Why is that a problem? Everyone here being super aggressive and pissed, I get it.

The fact that we are looking at 100s of 1000s of dollars to fund these DDoS attacks implies that some big player wants Octo dead.
you have to understand theres alot of people against AI in 2026. I lean more against AI so I can understand why he is mad at you for using AI, however, I do understand that sometimes people dont have the time or energy to do research, so I can completely understand why you used AI for the example you provided. Although I would love to just agree with the other guy and say "AI IS BAD" theres two sides to a story and in a way its not even your fault for using it, its more googles fault for allowing it to be accessed so easily. but again, im a nobody and my opinion is just an opinion, keep using AI if its more convenient for you, I hope this gives you some insight on maybe why that guy was so upset <3 <3 <3
Well at least I properly labeled my "source" accordingly. Most people do not, which is a big part of the problem to begin with. I remember when people (teachers, professors, etc) ranted about Wikipedia (and the internet in general) ruining students' educations. Just like a Wiki, AI can be the START of an investigation or learning process, pointing you to other, proper sources. But it must never be the end of an investigation.
Kudos.
I seriously want dwarves to get plainsrunning

Skyw
Posts: 13

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#70 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:56 pm

So, no one can get in right now?

It usually worked for me trying other locations through VPN, Netherlands works better, but rn i can't even log in with VPN set to Ned...

I get to Authenticating then disconnected from server!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gimmiewaifus, Sisifo and 1 guest