DDoS Updates

Patch notes, server status, and major news.
Quizok2
Posts: 5

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#71 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:58 pm

Misterjingles wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:35 pm
Quizok2 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:15 pm Guys, is the server down or its something on my side?
https://octowow-status.shunrai.workers.dev/
thanks

User avatar
Rocksmash
Posts: 46

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#72 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:01 pm

Skyw wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:56 pm So, no one can get in right now?

It usually worked for me trying other locations through VPN, Netherlands works better, but rn i can't even log in with VPN set to Ned...

I get to Authenticating then disconnected from server!
correct, it seems everyone has this issue, im sure we will hear something from the dev team soon about whats causing this, it could be another prolonged DDos attack, im not quite sure but im sure we will get an answer either today or tomorrow. which I know that isnt an Ideal time frame, but we gotta remember this is actually a small dev team thats trying to stay anonymous, so sometimes they have to keep some things a secret to protect themselves!
I seriously want dwarves to get plainsrunning

User avatar
Dinyshy
Posts: 7

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#73 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:13 pm

Everything is working, I managed to log in!

Skyw
Posts: 13

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#74 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:14 pm

Rocksmash wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:01 pm
Skyw wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:56 pm So, no one can get in right now?

It usually worked for me trying other locations through VPN, Netherlands works better, but rn i can't even log in with VPN set to Ned...

I get to Authenticating then disconnected from server!
correct, it seems everyone has this issue, im sure we will hear something from the dev team soon about whats causing this, it could be another prolonged DDos attack, im not quite sure but im sure we will get an answer either today or tomorrow. which I know that isnt an Ideal time frame, but we gotta remember this is actually a small dev team thats trying to stay anonymous, so sometimes they have to keep some things a secret to protect themselves!
WOW, I just got in!

And yes i totally understand whats going on, also this is a FREE server, people have really no right to be pissed off at devs and server runners here.

Skeleton
Posts: 7

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#75 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:18 pm

Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:50 pm
Rocksmash wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:42 pm
Schwarzschild wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:34 pm

Because I am not an expert, I asked the AI what these kinds of attacks cost. Why is that a problem? Everyone here being super aggressive and pissed, I get it.

The fact that we are looking at 100s of 1000s of dollars to fund these DDoS attacks implies that some big player wants Octo dead.
you have to understand theres alot of people against AI in 2026. I lean more against AI so I can understand why he is mad at you for using AI, however, I do understand that sometimes people dont have the time or energy to do research, so I can completely understand why you used AI for the example you provided. Although I would love to just agree with the other guy and say "AI IS BAD" theres two sides to a story and in a way its not even your fault for using it, its more googles fault for allowing it to be accessed so easily. but again, im a nobody and my opinion is just an opinion, keep using AI if its more convenient for you, I hope this gives you some insight on maybe why that guy was so upset <3 <3 <3
Well at least I properly labeled my "source" accordingly. Most people do not, which is a big part of the problem to begin with. I remember when people (teachers, professors, etc) ranted about Wikipedia (and the internet in general) ruining students' educations. Just like a Wiki, AI can be the START of an investigation or learning process, pointing you to other, proper sources. But it must never be the end of an investigation.
getting shit off wikipedia doesn't give people living around data centers 7 different types of cancer though. but you continue patting yourself on the back for being so smart buddy. i definitely couldn't have found how much ddos attacks cost through any alternative search engine that doesn't capitalize on making the earth uninhabitable.

Slonayra
Posts: 3

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#76 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:20 pm

Okto has risen! I wouldn't mind hearing some explanations from the administrators.

Skyshadow
Posts: 2

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#77 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:21 pm

Sqweellex wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 3:36 pm You’ve had a month to solve the problem. A whole month. How much longer are we expected to wait and put up with this? In that time, countless raids have been rescheduled or have failed completely—not to mention the battlegrounds, which are unplayable. Sure, there are hardly any crashes now, but if you try to log back into your character—whether manually or after a crash—it takes about 50 attempts. Right now, I’ve entered my login and password a hundred times and still can't get onto the server.

Can you give us a specific timeframe for when this will be resolved? No fairy tales about ISPs or technical nuances. Just tell us straight: "We need a day, a week, or a month, and then everything will work fine without issues." Like, "We’ll have it all fixed by [date]."

Or is this going to be the new normal? If so, just say it: "We can't solve the DDoS issue." No empty promises about "trying" or "doing our best." Just give it to us straight—either you'll fix it by a certain time, or you won't fix it at all.

Thanks for your time.
So I'm new to private servers but definitely not new to WoW since I played from retail all the way up to the release of mists. I'm also the last person to ever defend shitty game devs or admins, but reading these forums the past week I'm gonna say something. I get the mild frustration and annoyance of having to reschedule raids or other things but holy shit it's been awhile since I've seen a forum so full of entitled whining crybabies. It's ok to be upset a bit but actually pissing and moaning this much and having gall to demand answers about having issues with a game you paid NOTHING for is absolutely ridiculous.

It's painfully obvious that a lot of players doing this either weren't around to play vanilla WOW back in the day or don't have good memories because back in the day we dealt with similar shit on a pretty regular basis too the only difference was we were PAYING Blizzard for the game time and the games.

Also today is the first day in almost a week that myself and my buddy have had any serious issues logging in and playing, while I'm not denying some people have had a plethora of issues I'm also thinking some are completely incompetent and have other issues going on.

Tldr- fucking chill. Game will be back, direct your anger to the assholes causing this.

User avatar
Rocksmash
Posts: 46

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#78 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:29 pm

Skyshadow wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:21 pm
Sqweellex wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 3:36 pm You’ve had a month to solve the problem. A whole month. How much longer are we expected to wait and put up with this? In that time, countless raids have been rescheduled or have failed completely—not to mention the battlegrounds, which are unplayable. Sure, there are hardly any crashes now, but if you try to log back into your character—whether manually or after a crash—it takes about 50 attempts. Right now, I’ve entered my login and password a hundred times and still can't get onto the server.

Can you give us a specific timeframe for when this will be resolved? No fairy tales about ISPs or technical nuances. Just tell us straight: "We need a day, a week, or a month, and then everything will work fine without issues." Like, "We’ll have it all fixed by [date]."

Or is this going to be the new normal? If so, just say it: "We can't solve the DDoS issue." No empty promises about "trying" or "doing our best." Just give it to us straight—either you'll fix it by a certain time, or you won't fix it at all.

Thanks for your time.
So I'm new to private servers but definitely not new to WoW since I played from retail all the way up to the release of mists. I'm also the last person to ever defend shitty game devs or admins, but reading these forums the past week I'm gonna say something. I get the mild frustration and annoyance of having to reschedule raids or other things but holy shit it's been awhile since I've seen a forum so full of entitled whining crybabies. It's ok to be upset a bit but actually pissing and moaning this much and having gall to demand answers about having issues with a game you paid NOTHING for is absolutely ridiculous.

It's painfully obvious that a lot of players doing this either weren't around to play vanilla WOW back in the day or don't have good memories because back in the day we dealt with similar shit on a pretty regular basis too the only difference was we were PAYING Blizzard for the game time and the games.

Also today is the first day in almost a week that myself and my buddy have had any serious issues logging in and playing, while I'm not denying some people have had a plethora of issues I'm also thinking some are completely incompetent and have other issues going on.

Tldr- fucking chill. Game will be back, direct your anger to the assholes causing this.
I agree with Skyshadow here, The devs have improved the stability over the course of this month, this last week was pure bliss, i barely got disconnected, clearly whoever is doing these attacks maybe changed their approach or something and its just another bump in the road that the devs will clear with time. this is a free game for us afterall! be patient
I seriously want dwarves to get plainsrunning

Twisted6
Posts: 36

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#79 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:45 pm

Skyw wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:14 pm
Rocksmash wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:01 pm
Skyw wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:56 pm So, no one can get in right now?

It usually worked for me trying other locations through VPN, Netherlands works better, but rn i can't even log in with VPN set to Ned...

I get to Authenticating then disconnected from server!
correct, it seems everyone has this issue, im sure we will hear something from the dev team soon about whats causing this, it could be another prolonged DDos attack, im not quite sure but im sure we will get an answer either today or tomorrow. which I know that isnt an Ideal time frame, but we gotta remember this is actually a small dev team thats trying to stay anonymous, so sometimes they have to keep some things a secret to protect themselves!
WOW, I just got in!

And yes i totally understand whats going on, also this is a FREE server, people have really no right to be pissed off at devs and server runners here.
Ask them how much they make selling the premium currency. It's not a FREE server, they make bank. The devs have had almost a month to sort this out. Every week the population declines.

User avatar
Dinyshy
Posts: 7

Re: DDoS Updates

Post#80 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:46 pm

Skyshadow wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:21 pm
Sqweellex wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 3:36 pm You’ve had a month to solve the problem. A whole month. How much longer are we expected to wait and put up with this? In that time, countless raids have been rescheduled or have failed completely—not to mention the battlegrounds, which are unplayable. Sure, there are hardly any crashes now, but if you try to log back into your character—whether manually or after a crash—it takes about 50 attempts. Right now, I’ve entered my login and password a hundred times and still can't get onto the server.

Can you give us a specific timeframe for when this will be resolved? No fairy tales about ISPs or technical nuances. Just tell us straight: "We need a day, a week, or a month, and then everything will work fine without issues." Like, "We’ll have it all fixed by [date]."

Or is this going to be the new normal? If so, just say it: "We can't solve the DDoS issue." No empty promises about "trying" or "doing our best." Just give it to us straight—either you'll fix it by a certain time, or you won't fix it at all.

Thanks for your time.
So I'm new to private servers but definitely not new to WoW since I played from retail all the way up to the release of mists. I'm also the last person to ever defend shitty game devs or admins, but reading these forums the past week I'm gonna say something. I get the mild frustration and annoyance of having to reschedule raids or other things but holy shit it's been awhile since I've seen a forum so full of entitled whining crybabies. It's ok to be upset a bit but actually pissing and moaning this much and having gall to demand answers about having issues with a game you paid NOTHING for is absolutely ridiculous.

It's painfully obvious that a lot of players doing this either weren't around to play vanilla WOW back in the day or don't have good memories because back in the day we dealt with similar shit on a pretty regular basis too the only difference was we were PAYING Blizzard for the game time and the games.

Also today is the first day in almost a week that myself and my buddy have had any serious issues logging in and playing, while I'm not denying some people have had a plethora of issues I'm also thinking some are completely incompetent and have other issues going on.

Tldr- fucking chill. Game will be back, direct your anger to the assholes causing this.
I wholeheartedly support this! I myself played on the official servers until Shadowlands. After Turtle shut down, I only found out about Octo in July and happily started leveling on HC. And I played without a single disconnect before all these DDoS attacks. Many people here complain that the administration hasn't done anything for a month, but that's simply not true. You're either deliberately lying or you don't want to notice how much better things have become compared to the start of the attacks. Besides, it's worth considering that all these protection measures clearly cost the Octo developers a lot of money. But they continue to deal with the problem and haven't abandoned anything. I'm sure everything will eventually be fine. But to those who are incredibly angry about this whole situation, I just want to suggest: do something else for now, if you're not ready to put up with difficulties. Yes, some will leave forever, but I see that there are quite a few who are ready to stay. And in the end, everything will fall into place, the server will be stable again, and new players will gradually appear.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest