On vanilla/classic the trunks found from fishing in floating wreckage or pools of fish felt really nice to get in the mid-levels ("Mithril Bound Trunk"). They would often contain green pieces of gear, precious gems, various profession recipes or other good general loot that you would sometimes find in chests in the area. For instance journeyman backpacks or troll-hide bags (both 14 slot bags). On octo it seems like this chance has been removed completely, with the only addition seemingly being a cooking recipe for a squid eel skewer and the only remaining goodies being potions, leathers and bolts of cloth.
I'm not sure if it was nerfed intentionally or due to a bug, but what I can say is that fishing doesn't feel nearly as rewarding with these changes and I'd personally suggest undoing the change if it was intentional and maybe even considering adding another even higher tier trunk to high-level zones so that fishing can remain something exciting even in the later stages of the game.